Monday 11 April 2016

Masking and Stamping - April 2016 Claritystamp Challenge

Hello there

Finally I've returned to full health after my bout of flu, and I've been busy organising my lovely stamps into the Clarity Storage folders in my craft room. It's amazing how much easier it is to craft when there is space on the surface of the desk!!

I was quite excited by this month's challenge, as I love stamping and masking. I came up with this idea as I was sorting my stamps, and it took me a few goes on scrap to work out exactly how to cut my masks in order to get the finished result - it reminds me of the song about the woman who lived in the shoe, but of course the lovely Alice is far too young to be the lady who inspired that tale!


The main image uses the following Clarity stamps: Sketchy Shoe, Alice and a large and small Alium stamp. I stamped using black archival ink onto an old book page, and cut several shoe masks to enable me to stamp Alice into the middle of the shoe, then masked off Alice in order to stamp the back part of the heel, and another "outy" mask to create a pattern on the shoe using second generation ink and the small alium stamp. Then I left all the masks in place to stamp the large Alium in the background, and finally I stamped a couple of small Alium images in the top right hand corner for balance.

I coloured Alice and the shoe using Spectrum Noir pencils, and added a little shadow under the shoe to ground the image. Then I trimmed down the book page and edged the piece with a ruler and black sharpie pen, and mounted it onto a gelli-print from my stash, to which I added a little pink pencil shading so that it coordinated with Alice's dress. Finally I mounted it onto a 8x8 inch white card blank.

I have another idea to sit Alice on the feather which I'll have a go at another time. Hope you like my card, and please leave a comment to let me know what you think.

Thanks for visiting, Susan x


24 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Best wishes in the Clarity Challenge and thanks very much for joining in. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card and design. Thank you for entering the challenge and the best of luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely this is like how you have the little girl sat in the shoe good luck in the clarity challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crafty - it took a few goes cutting the masks to get her sat right inside the shoe, but I'm happy with the final result x

      Delete
  4. Glad you are feeling better Susan. Super card, and perfect for the Challenge. Goodluck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi - I'm about 95% better now, which is a relief after over a month of being poorly! x

      Delete
  5. What a great card Susan - love your piece for this month's Challenge. Glad you're back to full health again too.
    Wishing you luck and thank you for joining in the fun x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole - really enjoyed doing this challenge and had lots of ideas in my head, so when I get back from my holiday I'll have a go at a few of the others too! x

      Delete
  6. An excellent design showcasing the masking technique to it's best. Just love it. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley - it's funny how some designs just come together and others take ages to work out isn't it? Really appreciate your comments, Susan x

      Delete
  7. Great design, very well executed - I love the Alice stamp but haven't made much use of her yet, so it's great to see new ideas for how to place her! I shall look forward to seeing her on the feather at some future date.

    I always like seeing book pages used as backgrounds, too, but haven't cracked that technique myself - for one, it would pain me to tear up a book (though actually it's giving an old worn-out book a new lease of life, so I shouldn't worry!), and then I think I'd find myself reading the page instead of concentrating on the crafting!
    Anyway, really like this card, Susan - good luck in the Clarity challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jomada-Dawn - don't worry, the book had pages falling out, so I don't feel guilty in using one! I like to think that I saved it from the recycling!!! Susan x

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, what a beautiful design Susan, Alice looks at home in her shoe..., a perfect example of masking. Good luck in the Clarity Challenge...hugs. Jo. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - sorry I'm going to miss your workshops in Glasgow. Hopefully I'll be able to make them again in the Autumn/Winter, Susan x

      Delete
  9. A great idea Susan, and beautiful masking. Very clever. Thanks for joining this month's Clarity challenge. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - really appreciate your comments, Susan x

      Delete
  10. Clever use of the stamps, love the way Alice is sitting in the shoe. Good Luck in the challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne - it was fun to do, and just needed a bit of working out to get her fully in the shoe. Susan x

      Delete
  11. This is fab Susan, I love the girl in the shoe! Great idea and very clever stamping.
    Hugs
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello my dear Susan. Glad to hear you are feeling better. You are certainly on form with your crafting. I love this piece and of course your calendar entry too. This piece has a lot going for it. I love the use of the book page in the background and I love the use of the little girl too. Great masking. A fabby entry into the challenge. Best of luck, Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emma - thanks so much for your lovely comments. Glad your Groovi workshop went so well, and hope that you're fully recovered from all your prep now? Looking forwards to seeing your samples over the next few days! Hugs, Susan x

    ReplyDelete