Thursday, 21 January 2016

Say it with flowers

Hello and thanks for looking in. It's been a while since my last blog - too busy travelling, entertaining guests over the festive season, and now doing some decorating, but finally I found some time to play in my craft room this week in order to enter the Clarity Challenge for January 2016.

I had a card to make for a 1 year old this month, and really had to think how to use flowers in the card for little Betsy, as I have got into the habit of only using floral stamps and motifs in cards for older people. Still, it's called a challenge for a reason, so here's my take on the theme!

I took some inspiration from the "Torn GelliPlate" design that Barbara Gray showcased on her YouTube blog on 22 April 2014 (, but did the technique in reverse. So I started by tearing a piece of copier paper in half to act as a mask, and taping these to the top and bottom half of my card leaving an area ready to be stencilled. I then used the chicken wire stencil from the Clarity Basic Backgrounds set of 5, and added some Picked Raspberry Distress Ink using a Clarity Stencil brush. Next, using the same ink pad and a piece of Cut N Dry foam, I randomly inked through the two flowers from the 7X7 NDC vases stencil. Finally, when the stencilled ink was completely dry, I used Spun Sugar Distress Ink and another Clarity Stencil brush to apply a light coat of pale pink ink into the whole aperture area before removing  the paper mask, and outlining the edges with a Black Micron Pen.

Using the LetterBox stamp set and a black archival inkpad, I stamped out Betsy's name and age onto some pink patterned paper, and cut these out. I punched some flowers from deep pink card and stuck these across the top white area of the card, adding a few gems as flower centres. Then I stamped 3 of the wee girls from the Wee Folk Stamp Set 2 in black archival ink, and added a little butterfly punched out of black card with the sentiment for balance.

Finally I added a think black and wider deep pink card matt before mounting the panel onto an 8X8 white square card. I think the deep pink card has come out a little orangy in my photo, but in real life it was a really good match with the Picked Raspberry ink colour.

Hope you like my offering and I'd love to read your thoughts if you would like to leave a comment. Thanks, Susan x