Wednesday 26 August 2015

The big 50!

So, in a few days time my little sister celebrates her 50th Birthday, and I'd like to share the project I made for her, and it's matching card.

I've never really done anything 3-d in my crafting before and have never attempted anything that might even vaguely be classed as a mixed media project, so to say I was winging it wouldn't be too far from the mark. Here is the big 50 - what do you think? Hope she'll like it, and it might even make up part of the table decorations!





I started with a big cardboard 5 and 0 from Tesco's childrens crafting section (they had a BOGOF offer, which was lucky for me!), then painted them all over with two or three coats of gesso and stuck them together. I really need to be better at remembering all the details and having my camera to hand when I'm doing a project, but what can I say - I'm just not that organised!

I then used the Clarity Stamp Birdhouse set to stamp the fence, birdhouse, flowers, birds and animals onto white tissue paper, using black archival ink. When everything was dry, I then added a little texture to parts of the project using grungepaste through a honeycomb stencil. Then I had to wait for that to dry too....

About a week later, I started to adhere the stamped tissue paper to the white background, using Indigo Blue's Slap it On adhesive, making sure that the stamped designs went over the edges, and matched front and back for continuity.
Once that was all dry, I covered the images again with another coat of Slap it On to protect the stamping and to prevent the tissue from lifting at the edges. Then I waited again....I added Stickles glitter glue to the fence posts, to the flowers on the trailing boughs and the hollyhocks, and waited again for that to dry. Then I added a bit of distress ink to the honeycomb grungepaste areas, and a bit of dimensional paint to the hollyhocks, and then glued a few sequin flowers to the front for a bit more bling. Finally I used a little creamy lace and sewed some lace flowers as I felt there were a couple of bare areas that needed something extra.





I made a matching card using the same stamp kit, a black and old paper ink pad, and added my sister's name and age, just in case the Big 50 wasn't enough of a reminder!
I really enjoyed making this, even though I had sticky and inky fingers for the best part of a month, and I'd definitely do another mixed media project in the future - might even crack open those lovely pristine Clarity Canvasses that I've had up on the shelf for almost 6 months!!!

I'm entering this project into the Clarity Challenge for August, which is a Bingo Challenge - I've used the diagonal line Flowers, Stamp and Glitter, and also the middle horizontal line, Stencil, Stamp and GrungePaste - not quite a Full House, but definitely more than my usual less is more approach.

I love to read everyone's comments, so please let me know what you think - apologies if it takes some time to get back to you, but I've got a party to go to down in London!! Happy Birthday Jackie XXX

Susan

24 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant design I love it. Thank you for entering the challenge and the best of luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol - really enjoyed doing it so I might make some more! Susan x

      Delete
  2. What a great project Susan, I'm sure your sister will love it. Your composition and colour scheme really work well. A lovely detailed description too. Thanks for entering the Clarity challenge this month. Good luck. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - she really did like it, and next time I blog I'll try to take some step by step photos too! I'm quite into using just two colours at the moment, so I'm pleased you liked the colour scheme. Susan x

      Delete
  3. Very nice design love the way you have done it In the black and white good luck in the clarity challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for leaving such an encouring comment - really appreciate it! Susan x

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous. Hope your sister has a lovely Birthday. Good Luck. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne - she had a great time and is now sunning herself in Mauritius! I'm trying really hard not to be jealous!!! Susan x

      Delete
  5. Super 3D project and the matching card too. Good luck in the Clarity Challenge and I'm sure you sister will be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi - she loved them both, so all that time waiting for the layers to dry was worthwhile! Susan x

      Delete
  6. Lovely 3D project, Susan, plus a matching card. Very elegant. Something your sister is bound to cherish. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How clever to make a matching card and it is so much nicer decorating the large numbers rather than attaching a 50 to it. Wishing you success in this month's challenge and enjoy the 'knees up.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelagh - we had a great time, in spite of the weather! But what's a BBQ in the UK without a bit of rain? Susan x

      Delete
  8. Lovely project Susan - I'm sure your sister will be chuffed with it. I'm hanging on by the fingernails to my forties :( lol. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurane - wish I was hanging onto my forties too! Susan x

      Delete
  9. Great project Susan - what a lovely way to mark your sister's big O birthday. Good luck and thanks for entering the Claritystamp challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - I almost did her a scrapbook, but thought it might make her cry, so this was the safe bet! Susan x

      Delete
  10. Hello Susan. What a fabby project....talk about rubbing it in with the matching card.....which is fabby too. Lol
    I think you have done a marvellous job of this. Love it. Hugs and best of love in the challenge. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comments Emma - funny enough she had two big decorated 50s!! The other one she had done herself, so we must be telepathic or something! Susan x

      Delete
  11. Brilliant Susan - What a fab project and a great reason for getting crafty making something for a special person in your life. You must be proud of how it turned out. Happy Birthday to your Sister. Hope you have a lot of fun with her!
    Good luck with your entry, and thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole for your kind comments - I was delighted with the final result, and learnt a lot for the next one I attempt too!!! Susan x

      Delete
  12. Congratulation on your top 5, well deserved. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - I'm amazed and delighted - Thank You!!! I really must work out how to get the badge onto my blog this time too, Susan x

      Delete