Wednesday 10 June 2015

Boys, Boys, Boys

I find it so easy to make cards for ladies and girls, but the boys in our lives can be more of a challenge. Maybe that's because, as a female, I know what I would like to receive so I have a bit of a head start!

I've really loved all the new silhouette stamps that Clarity Stamp have been producing recently, and they combine so well with lots of different bespoke backgrounds, so I had a little play around with a few different stamp sets, Jo's Bubbles stencil, and the letterbox kit to create a card for my great-nephew's upcoming 3rd birthday.

To create the background I used a range of blue distress and adirondack ink pads, and brushed through the stencil using those wonderful Clarity stencil brushes to create a soft airbrushed effect. Then I stamped Rocco's name using black archival ink and the letterbox kit, and added some blue colour to the boxes using second generation distress ink.

I added the Boy with the Birds stamp, and two of the characters from the Wee Folk 2 set to create some movement in the card, and extended the rope swing using a black pen to match the black archival ink used for the stamping. Finally I added Rocco's age in one of the bubbles, and added the little black bird on top of the number as an extra feature as I felt it provided a better balance and stayed with the bird theme.

Hope Rocco likes his card as I really enjoyed creating it. Thanks for taking the time to look and if you'd like to leave a comment I'd be thrilled to read them, Susan x

22 comments:

  1. Hey there Susan. What a lovely card this is. I love your composition. The shading is perfect and the choice of stamps too. Thank you for sharing this with us and best of luck in the challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Susan. What a lovely card this is. I love your composition. The shading is perfect and the choice of stamps too. Thank you for sharing this with us and best of luck in the challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - and thanks also for the heads up about my original post! Susan x

      Delete
  3. Do love your card the colour goes well in the stencil good luck clarity of

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan this is a lovely card for your great nephew. The shading and stamps are just right. Thank you for entering this month's Clarity challenge. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan ,
    When I saw your card, I so wanted to comment but thought something was up with my internet connection. Lovely card, well thought out and a beautiful assimilation of stamps and colour. ;~]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shelagh. I'm still trying to get to grips with all the blog technology - clearly I did something wrong the first time I posted! I really appreciate your positive comments. Susan x

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan - I love your design, perfect for little Rocco & this month's theme, I'm sure he'll love it too!
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful artwork with us and good luck in the challenge xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mrs P - really appreciate your lovely comments! Susan x

      Delete
  7. Sim sure Rocco will love his card, especially if you made it for him. Its absolutely perfect.
    Good luck in the Claritystamp challenge xx
    Hugs
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Children love to get a personalised birthday card. Your design is lovely Susan. Good luck in the Clarity challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your message Lesley, Susan x

      Delete
  9. Susan sorry I'm late on parade back from holidays last night. A wonderful design and I'm sure everyone loved it. Thanks for entering the Clarity Challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Naomi - hope you had a wonderful holiday and thanks so much for your lovely comment, Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susan. Love your card this month. Jo' s bubble stencil is one of my favourites and I love your choice of stamps. Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurane. I too love the bubbles stencil - it's so versatile. Really look forward to catching up with you again in August, Susan x

      Delete
  12. Love this card Susan... It really stands out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda - it's his birthday next week, so I hope he likes it too! Susan x

      Delete